Defense is a very important chess skill. At least in about 50% of a chess game, we need to defend. In some games, we play with Black pieces and White makes the first move, and for that reason, White has the opportunity to start the attack/initiative.
In some other occasions, one will make a mistake and he or she is forced to defend. Thus, defense is as important as attack.
Many players struggle to get out of hard positions, and crumble under pressure. If you carefully study the course, then you will be able to defend correctly against all level of players
Is this course right for me?
The course is suitable for beginners and intermediate level players, but it will be helpful for advanced level players, too. Even if your ELO is 1900+, this course will help you improve your defending skills and you’ll learn some new things.
If you want to strengthen your defending skills and stop losing games under pressure, then this course is for you.
Many of your questions will be answered
- How to think and defend your positions in the opening?
- How to create a solid repertoire against an attacking player?
- When to defend and when to ignore opponent’s attack/idea?
- Do you always have something ‘better’ not to resign?
- How to stop losing initiative/material?
- How to make counter-attack (instead of just defense)?
Defend the right way
White has an advantage of moving first, thus Black needs to defend right from the first move.
This course is not about the openings but it will teach you how to think and defend your positions in the opening.
Learn different approaches for playing opening stage properly.
Break unfavourable course of the play
With the accumulation of practical experience, we will learn to determine the measure of the acceptable risk, which indecently strongly depends on the initial position.
On the end, it is also very important to tell you something about the mindset in the hard situations.
Eliminate 90% of your errors
Yes, it is possible to eliminate 90% of your errors. In this course GM Igor Smirnov will show you exactly how you can do it.
Learn about the very common psychological problems of the chess players due to that, players make terrible mistakes that cost them a lot of games.
- Lesson-1: Introduction
- Author explains why defense is important.
- Lesson-2: How to defend in the opening?
- Learn different approaches for playing opening stage properly
- Lesson-3: Other approaches
- In this lesson, FM Marko explains about the indirect approach to opening defense
- Lesson-4: Stop losing material
- Learn how to defend without losing pieces or material
- Lesson-5: How to evaluate position?
- Learn importance of evaluation in chess and how to evaluate positions.
- Lesson-6: Simplification in chess
- Learn how to avoid further damage to your pieces with Simplification
- Lesson-7: Economic defense
- In this lesson, you will learn how to use the resources in defense very economically.
- Lesson-8: Consolidation
- Learn how to consolidate and save lost position.
- Lesson-9: Active Defense and Counterattack
- Lesson-10: Fortress
- The fortress is a very common thing that people tend to consider chess with. Learn how to build a fortress in your games.
- Lesson-11: Psychology of defense
- Using many examples GM Igor Smirnov will show you how to break unfavorable course of the play
- Lesson-12: Deal with Gambits
- Gambits are usually used by an aggressive player so you should try not to take those gambits. In this chapter, GM Smirnov show how to deal with such gambits.
- Lesson-13: 3 main methods
- In this lesson, we will analyse the 3 most important methods of defense.
- Lesson-14: Eliminate errors
- Yes, it is possible to eliminate 90% of your errors. In this course GM Igor Smirnov will show you exactly how you can do it.
- Lesson-15: Your practical guide
- In this lesson, GM Smirnov explains the practical way of thinking.
- Practical guide for action
It is necessary to put the received knowledge into practice. There are 9 practical tasks (over 100 games) in this course which will help you to understand and remember the ideas of the course better.
The training program has a detailed explanation on what and exactly how you should do the practical tasks.