GM Nicholas Pert on this DVD: “The Sicilian defence is the most popular opening against 1.e4 because it is theoretically sound but offers Black double-edged play at the same time.
Whilst you must know how to handle the main line (2. Nf3 and 3.d4), sidelines are also very important.
In this video series, I give a strong and practical Black repertoire against these sidelines such as the Bb5 Sicilian, the Grand Prix Attack, the Alapin and many more, from my years of experience playing the Sicilian.
The repertoire is designed for players who play 2…Nc6 against the main line Sicilian.
This video series is the perfect complement to my Kalashnikov video series in order to give Black a complete repertoire against 1…e4, but it will also complement other Sicilian defence lines.
For example, if you play the Sveshnikov Sicilian (Magnus Carlsen’s recent choice), Accelerated Dragon, Grivas Sicilian, Taimanov Variation, Flohr Variation, or Loewenthal Variation against the main line Sicilian, then this video series can be used to cover all of the important sidelines that White might play.
There are also many useful chapters for players who play other Sicilian variations (not involving an early Nc6).
I find that sidelines are more common than the main line at club level, and possibly at the top level too, so having a strong repertoire against these sidelines is essential for any Sicilian player.”
About the Author:
GM Nicholas Pert is a chess grandmaster from England who has regularly played for the England team in Olympiads and European Team Championships.
He is a former World U18 chess champion and is the current National Head Coach of the English Chess Federation.
Windows 7 or higher
Minimum: Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, DirectX11, graphics card with 256 MB RAM, (DVD-ROM drive), Windows Media Player 9, ChessBase 14/Fritz 16 or included Reader and internet access for program activation.
Recommended: PC Intel i5 (Quadcore), 4 GB RAM, Windows 10, DirectX11, graphics card with 512 MB RAM or more, 100% DirectX10-compatible sound card, Windows Media Player 11, (DVD-ROM drive) and internet access for program activation.
Only available as download!
Minimum: MacOS “Yosemite” 10.10
- Bb5 systems
- 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5
- Bb5 Sicilian with 3…g6 4.Bxc6 dxc6
- Bb5 Sicilian with 3…g6 4.0-0 Bg7
- Bb5 Sicilian with 3…g6 4.0-0 and 9.Be3
- 3…Nd4 4.Nf3 Nxb5
- 3…Nd4 4.Bc4 e6 5.Nf3 Nf6
- 3…Nd4 4.Bc4 e6 5.Nge2 Nf6
- Alapin 2.c3
- 1.e4 c5 2.c3 Nf6 3.e5 Nd5
- White plays with early cxd4: 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nf3 Nc6 6.cxd4 d6/5.cxd4 d6
- 4.d4 cxd4 5.Bc4/Qxd4 and Morra Gambit (2.d4) transposition.
- White delays d4: 4.Nf3 Nc6 5.Bc4 Nb6 6.Bb3 c4 7.Bc2 d6
- White plays d4 and Bc4 sidelines: 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nf3 Nc6 6.Bc4 Nb6 7.Bb3 d5 8.exd6 Qxd6 Sidelines
- White plays d4 and Bc4 with 10.Na3: 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nf3 Nc6 6.Bc4 Nb6 7.Bb3 d5 8.exd6 Qxd6 9.0-0 Be6 10.Na3
- Grand Prix and Closed Sicilian
- 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6
- Grand Prix Attack – 3.f4 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Bb5 Nd4
- Grand Prix Attack – 3.f4 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Bc4 e6
- Other f4 setups: 3.f4 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.g3/a3/d3 and 2.f4 d5
- Closed Sicilian – 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.d3 d6 6. Be3 and 6.Nge2
- Closed Sicilian – 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.d3 d6 6.f4 e6
- 2.d3 and 2.g3
- 1.e4 c5
- a3 Sicilian and Wing Gambit: 2.a3 g6 and 2.b4 cxb4
- b3 Sicilian: 2.b3 g6 3.Bb2 Nf6
- 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nge2 Nd4
- 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nf3 e5
- Exercise 01
- Exercise 02
- Exercise 03
- Exercise 04
- Exercise 05
- Exercise 06
- Exercise 07
- Exercise 08
- Exercise 09
- Exercise 10
- Exercise 11
- Exercise 12