For the purposes of the data protection legislation, iChess LLC (‘we’ or ‘us’) is the ‘data controller’ (the company who is responsible for, and controls the processing of, your personal data).
If you are aged 16 or under, you must ensure that we have your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us (including creating an account).
PERSONAL DATA WE MAY COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We will obtain personal data about you such as your name, address, phone number, and email address when you create an account on iChess for purchasing digital chess content, subscriptions, physical chess equipment, or any other items in our store.
Additionally, we will obtain your personal data when you send us feedback, or contact us for any reason.
We do not store credit card details nor do we share financial details with any third parties. All payments made on the website will be processed by Chase Paymentech, Authorize.net, and/or PayPal. All such transactions will be governed by the relevant payment processor’s privacy policies, available at https://merchantservices.chase.com/online-privacy-policy, https://usa.visa.com/legal/privacy-policy.html and https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full respectively.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We process your personal data for the purposes of providing the agreed services to you and for related legitimate business activities such as:
- facilitating subscriptions, and digital chess content purchases;
- billing you;
- to help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us;
- fraud prevention and detection;
- customizing iChess and its content to your particular preferences;
- to notify you of any changes to iChess or to our services that may affect you; and
- statistical analysis; and
- improving our services.
We will ask for your specific consent if we additionally intend to use your information for any of the following purposes:
- research, and behavioral analysis;
- customer profiling and analyzing your purchasing preferences;
- marketing—see ‘Marketing and Opting Out’, below;
- customising iChess and its content to your particular preferences.
MARKETING AND OPTING OUT
If you have given permission, we may contact you by email about products we think may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive any direct marketing communications from us, you can opt-out at any time. For more details see ‘Your rights’, below.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA – OUTSIDE iCHESS
We may disclose your personal data to iChess’ agents and service providers, other companies within iChess’ group, hereunder affiliates, as well as iChess’ agents and service providers (including service providers):
- Amazon Web Services – Digital File Storage and Data Transfer
- WP Engine – Secure web hosting
- Google Analytics – Anonymised aggregated statistics
- Google Optimize – Split testing
- Facebook – I.P. Address for Like/share buttons
- Tawk.to – Customer support
- Klaviyo – E-mail campaigns
- Paypal – Payment gateway
- Authorize – Payment gateway
- Quickbooks – Accounting software
- Twitter – I.P. Address for Tweet button
- WordPress – Website
- WooCommerce – Shop
KEEPING YOUR DATA SECURE
We will use appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- access to your account is controlled by a password and username that are unique to you; and
- we store your personal data on secure servers.
While we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason, we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from you or to you via the internet. It remains your responsibility to:
- Ensure nobody else will use iChess while you are logged into your account (we advise our users to take extra care when using public computers/devices and to NOT leave themselves logged in; it is your responsibility to ensure this does not happen);
- Log out and exit your account on iChess when you are not using it, on any private and/or public computer or device; and
- Keep your password and any account details or access details secret and to yourself.
Our payment services provider may store your information but do so with appropriate safeguards.
We may use profiling techniques to propose to you certain content types or titles. We do this on the basis of your usage patterns of iChess, including previous purchases.
- recognise you whenever you visit iChess (this speeds up your access to the website as you do not have to log on each time);
- obtain information about your preferences;
- carry out research and statistical analysis to help improve our content, products and services and to help us better understand our visitor requirements and interests;
- make our shopping basket and checkout work;
- allow you to add comments to the site;
- integrate third-party functionality, for example embedding a YouTube video;
- show you adverts on Facebook, Instagram, Quora, Reddit and the Google Display Network;
- make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
If the settings on your software that you are using to view this website (your browser) are adjusted to accept cookies we take this, and your continued use of our website, to mean that you are fine with this.
HOW TO TURN OFF COOKIES
If you do not want to accept cookies, you can change your browser settings so that cookies are not accepted. If you do this, please be aware that you may lose some of the functionality of iChess. For further information about cookies and how to disable them please go to:
www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
To opt out of Google Analytics, visit this webpage – https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER INDIVIDUALS
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
- give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data; and
- receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices;
DO NOT USE iCHESS FOR PRIVATE AND SENSITIVE DATA
iChess is a resource to help you improve your chess learning. We do not wish for iChess to be used for the processing of any sensitive data. Do not use iChess in any way to share with any user any personal contact information like your phone number or street address. Do not use iChess to send or store any item revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
iChess does and may contain links to other websites. This Policy applies only to our website, www.ichess.net, so when you visit other websites please read their privacy policies, as we cannot accept any responsibility for breaches or issues you may have in relation to privacy once you leave our website. While we do our best to curate links, we can’t be responsible for them.
WHAT IS THE LEGAL BASIS FOR OUR PROCESSING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
In some cases, the legal basis for the processing of your personal data is your consent. This is the case, for example, if you agree to us emailing you with marketing information. Any consent you provide may be withdrawn at any time by emailing [email protected].
Also, we may process personal data in accordance with our legitimate interest in engaging in providing and developing our services to you and other users – provided that those interests are not outweighed by your rights and interests. If you think that your rights and interests do outweigh our legitimate interests in providing our services, please let us know by emailing us at [email protected].
We may also process your data where:
This is necessary to allow us to comply with our legal obligations; or
If you have previously given consent to our processing your data (for example, in relation to our sending you marketing information by email) you can freely withdraw such consent at any time. You can do this by emailing us at [email protected]. If you do withdraw your consent, and if we do not have another legal basis for processing your information, then we will stop processing your personal data. If we do have another legal basis for processing your information, then we may continue to do so subject to your legal rights. More details about your data protection rights are set out in the ‘Your Rights’ section below.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR DATA
The personal data we collect is stored on the servers of our service providers who help power iChess.
Some or all of your data may be stored or transferred outside of the European Economic Area (“the EEA”). We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is treated as safely and securely as it would be within the EEA and under the GDPR.
You may choose not to provide us with personal data and you may turn off cookies in your browser by changing its settings. If you make these decisions, you may continue to browse the pages of iChess.net. However, the site may not function as intended and we will not be able to provide you with our listed products and subscriptions.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes.
You have the right to access information we hold about you, together with an explanation of the categories of data being processed, the purposes of such processing, and the categories of third parties to whom the data may be disclosed. You can also require us to provide you details of the period for which the data will be stored (or the criteria used to determine that period) and information about your other rights regarding our use of your data. We will provide you with the information within one month of your request, unless doing so would adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others. That would include, for example, another person’s confidentiality or intellectual property rights. We’ll tell you if we can’t meet your request for that reason. If you wish to exercise this right, please send a request to [email protected].
You also have the following rights:
- The right to require us to rectify any inaccurate personal data concerning you.
- The right to be ‘forgotten’ by us and have us erase any personal data we hold about you, if it is no longer necessary for us to hold the data for purposes of your use of the Service.
- The right to object to us using your data for the purposes of profiling you or making automated decisions about you. We may use your data to determine whether we should let you know information about the Service which might be relevant to you. Otherwise, the only circumstances in which we will do this is to provide you with the iChess service.
- The right to ask us to port your data to another service (if technically feasible) or to provide you with a copy of data we hold about you in a structured, commonly used machine-readable format so that you can provide it to them. We will do so to the extent that we are required to under applicable laws, but not to the extent that this involves disclosing data about any other individual.
- You can also exercise these rights at any time by contacting us at [email protected]. To the extent that it does not involve disproportionate effort on our part, if you exercise any of the above rights we will tell any third parties to whom we have passed your data.
HOW LONG WE KEEP THE DATA
OTHER IMPORTANT PROVISIONS
OUR CONTACT DETAILS
We welcome your feedback and questions. If you wish to contact us, you can send an email to [email protected], telephone on +1 (413) 424-3770, or by post at 3391 E Brockbank Dr, SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84124, United States.
We are a Limited Liability Company (LLC) registered in Georgia in the United States of America.