Sicilian Sveshnikov, Part 1 – GM Suat Atalik (iChess Club)
The Sicilian Sveshnikov begins with the moves 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Ndb5 d6. (See the diagram.)
This opening has been increasing in popularity in recent years and featured in the World Chess Championship match between Magnus Carlsen and Fabiano Caruana in 2018.
At the top level of chess, it is an opening that has been deployed by players including Vladimir Kramnik, Veselin Topalov, Teimour Radjabov, Boris Gelfand, Michael Adams, and many others.
The Sveshnikov has been established as a first-rate defense for Black, but Black must know what he is doing, as there are some lines that can give him trouble if he is not attentive. In this exclusive iChess Club video, GM Suat Atalik introduces you to this opening by looking at the theory and explaining the typical ideas and plans behind it.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- 2-3 exclusive new premium videos a week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $19.97 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $9.97.
Other interesting iChess.club articles for you:
Live Stream: Chess Traps After 1.e4 e5 – IM Valeri Lilov [Noon EST, Sat 6 July]1.e4 e5 is one of the most common openings in all of chess, with both...
Read more >
The Sicilian Najdorf, Part 2 – GM Damian Lemos (iChess Club)We recently asked iChess Club members which topics they'd like to...
Read more >