The Sicilian Najdorf is a chess opening that starts with the moves 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 (diagram).
It is 5..a6 that distinguishes this opening as the Sicilian Najdorf – 5..g6, for example, would be the Sicilian Dragon.
The sharp continuation is 6.Bg5 e6 7.f4.
This is part 3 of an exclusive iChess Club video series from IM Robert Ris on the Sicilian Najdorf for White.
It’s now time to look at the so-called Gelfand Variation which starts with 7..Nbd7. Black postpones development of his dark-squared bishop to protect the f6 knight, as well as the e5 square.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- Exclusive new premium videos each week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $20 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $1.