The Scotch opening begins with the moves 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 (diagram, left).
In this video, the second of three on the Scotch, IM Robert Ris explores play after 4…Nf6, known as the Mieses variation. If you missed part 1, click here to watch it.
This is a natural developing move from Black, one of the oldest in the position.
It is possible to continue with 5.Nc3, but IM Robert Ris recommends playing a line that offers a more critical challenge to Black, starting with 5.Nxc6. In this exclusive iChess Club video, IM Ris explains all the main options in this line, and the plans and ideas White has in mind.
To dive even deeper into the Scotch Mieses, check out this game with complete annotations from IM Ris himself (in which he goes into incredible detail!):
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- Exclusive new premium videos each week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $20 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $1.