The so-called Neo-Arkhangelsk variation of the Ruy Lopez begins with the moves 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 b5 6.Bb3 Bc5 (diagram).
This is different from the Arkhangelsk Variation where Black plays 6..Bb7. In the Neo-Arkhangelsk (or Modern Arkhangelsk), Black won’t look to fianchetto the light-squared bishop, but instead wants to play ..Bg4 at some point in order to increase pressure on White’s center.
The main move from White is 7.a4, which is explained in this exclusive iChess Club video from IM Robert Ris. Other options for White on move 7 will be explored in upcoming videos.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- Exclusive new premium videos each week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $20 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $1.