The Reti System is a very flexible opening for White that starts with the move 1.Nf3. There are a number of responses available for Black – GM Damian Lemos recommends 1…d5 (diagram).
White can respond with a number of moves such as 2.b3, 2.c4, or 2.d4. In this exclusive iChess Club video, GM Lemos explores play after White opts for 2.g3 g6 3.Bg7. You’ll learn how to play against this Reti-system as Black. In Part 1, GM Lemos explained play after 3.c4 – you can watch it here.
The Reti is quite popular and is played by leading grandmasters such as Levon Aronian, Magnus Carlsen, Peter Svidler, Hikaru Nakamura, Vladimir Kramnik and many more. Many club players learn how to play against 1.e4 or 1.d4 but come undone when faced with 1.Nf3 – this video series will give you an idea of how to face White’s hypermodern opening.
If you’re interested in playing the Reti from White’s perspective, check out our free comprehensive guide to the Reti, where you’ll learn the key concepts and tactics in the opening as well as explore all the main lines you need to know.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- Exclusive new premium videos each week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $19.97 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $1.