Open Catalan with 7.dcx5 – IM Robert Ris (iChess Club)
This is the first of six videos from IM Robert Ris on the Catalan. In this series, IM Ris focusses on the Open Catalan and offers a repertoire for Black against all of White’s main variations.
The Open Catalan begins with the moves 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3. Nf3 d5 4. g3 dxc4 5. Bg2 c5 6.0-0 Nc6. (See the diagram)
The Catalan was used extensively by Vladimir Kramnik during his World Chess Championship matches.
In this exclusive iChess Club video, IM Ris takes a look at how play continues when White opts to play 7.dxc5. At first, this looks pretty harmless for Black, however this is a trendy move at the moment and it is something Black should take the time to study in order not to get caught out over the board.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- 2-3 exclusive new premium videos a week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $19.97 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $9.97.
Other interesting iChess.club articles for you:
Best Chess Openings for Beginners: Queen’s Gambit DeclinedChess openings occur in every chess game. You can't avoid or sidestep them. It's important...
Read more >
Sicilian Sveshnikov, Part 1 – GM Suat Atalik (iChess Club)The Sicilian Sveshnikov begins with the moves 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6...
Read more >