Giuoco Pianissimo with 4.d3 Bc5 – GM S.P. Sethuraman (iChess Club)
The Giuoco Piano, or Italian Game, is one of the oldest openings in chess, dated back to the early 16th Century. It begins with the moves 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6, and the Giuoco Pianissimo begins when White plays 4.d3.
The Giuoco Pianissimo was given its name by the legendary chess player Adolf Anderssen, meaning “Very Quiet Game.”
White aims for a slow buildup, not playing d4 immediately, but deciding to wait until he can prepare it. The battle for the center is avoided early on, but White keeps the tension in the position by exchanging pieces and playing a positional game instead.
Nowadays, the very top grandmasters show a preference for the more strategic approach of the Giuoco Pianissimo. Kasparov and Karpov have both used it in crucial games. Kramnik, Anand and Magnus Carlsen have also used this opening at the top level with success.
In this video, exclusive for iChess Club members, GM S.P. Sethuraman looks at this chess opening in detail.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- 2-3 exclusive new premium videos a week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $19.97 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $9.97.
Other interesting iChess.club articles for you:
Essential Chess Endgames with IM Anna RudolfMost club players hate endgames. With a clenched fist in the air, they’ll wail and...
Read more >
Slav Defense Exchange Variation – GM Alex Lenderman (iChess Club)The Slav Defense Exchange Variation is an underrated weapon for White....
Read more >