Caro-Kann with 5.Nxf6+ – IM Robert Ris (iChess Club)
The Caro-Kann occurs after the moves 1.e4 c6 and is one of the most solid replies for Black to 1.e4. The opening has seen steady growth in popularity in recent years.
It has been a favorite of World Champions like Capablanca, Botvinnik, Petrosian, and Karpov, but also modern Super-GMs such as Anand, Adams, and Leko.
While it is true that the Caro-Kann is a solid opening, that isn’t to say that it is an opening weapon simply used to make a draw. In fact, it carries some hidden bite.
On many occasions, for example, Black outplays White in a slightly better endgame or parries an overambitious attack from White and counters with a winning strike.
In this exclusive iChess Club video, IM Robert Ris explores play after 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Nf6 5.Nxf6+ (see the diagram on the right). IM Ris looks at 5…exf6. This is a challenging continuation for White to face.
Previously on iChess Club:
In exclusive iChess Club videos on the current theoretical state of the Caro-Kann, GM Alexandr Lenderman and IM Robert Ris have explored the popular Classical Variation (1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3) the Advance Variation (1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5), and the Exchange Variation (1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 cxd5).
These variations are probably the most testing attempts for White to get an advantage against the Caro-Kann. Don’t worry if you missed these videos, you can still watch them here:
- Watch: Caro-Kann: Theoretical Developments in the Classical Variation – GM Alex Lenderman (iChess.club)
- Watch: Caro-Kann: A Practical Repertoire For Black Against The Advance Variation – IM Robert Ris (iChess.club)
- Watch: Caro-Kann: Latest Trends in The Exchange Variation – IM Robert Ris (iChess.Club)
Also, don’t miss our free Ultimate Guide to the Caro-Kann, which includes PGNs, useful explanations of the moves and plans in this opening, puzzles, and a number of helpful videos.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- 2-3 exclusive new premium videos a week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $19.97 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $9.97.
Other interesting iChess.club articles for you:
Open Catalan with 5…Bd7, 9…0-0-0 – IM Robert Ris (iChess Club)In this series, IM Ris focusses on the Open Catalan. This...
Read more >
The Accelerated Dragon: Crush White with the Sicilian DefenseWhat Is The Accelerated Dragon? The Accelerated Dragon is a chess opening for Black against...
Read more >