Reti Opening: Win Against The Slav Defense With …Bf5 – GM Damian Lemos (iChess.club)
The Reti Opening is a positionally interesting opening for White full of hidden bite. Thanks to its flexibility and many ways to play for a win, the Reti has slowly become more and more popular among players of all levels. It occurs after the move 1.Nf3.
Not only has the Reti Opening been frequently played by the best grandmasters of the past such as Anatoly Karpov and Ulf Andersson, but it is also played by many leading grandmasters today – Levon Aronian, Magnus Carlsen, Peter Svidler, Hikaru Nakamura, Vladimir Kramnik and many more.
The opening is called the Reti Opening because it was introduced and regularly played by the Czechoslovakian Grandmaster Richard Réti in the 1920s.
It’s a flank opening, meaning that White does not start off by pushing his central pawns, but goes for a different – a hypermodern – strategy. White does not try to control the center early on with his pawns but spends some time on fianchettoing his light-squared bishop and only then increases his central influence with the moves c2-c4 and sometimes d2-d4.
In many variations, the resulting unbalanced positions offer scope for both sides to play for a win.
The Reti Opening: Win Against The Slav Defense With …Bf5
GM Damian Lemos, the face of iChess.net and a renowned expert on the Reti Opening who also published an course on this opening, has produced a series of videos on the different variations in the Reti Opening.
In this iChess Club exclusive video, GM Damian Lemos takes a look at the variation where Black opts for a Slav setup with …Bf5 – a London System with colors reversed. In the video, GM Lemos investigates a line where White delays the move c2-c4 and aims to quickly get the bishop pair instead.
Non-premium members can only watch the first 3 minutes of the video, premium members have full access to the full video.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- 2-3 exclusive new premium videos a week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $19.97 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club.
Other interesting iChess.club articles for you:
- Strike With The English Opening Against The Symmetrical Variation – GM Mihail Marin (iChess.club)
- Sicilian Dragon: Latest Trends In The Yugoslav Attack With 9.0-0-0 – GM Romain Edouard (iChess.club)
- Caro Kann: Theoretical Developments In The Classical Variation – GM Alex Lenderman (iChess.club)
Trompowsky Attack: Crush The 2…c5 Variation – GM Bryan Smith (iChess.club)The Trompowsky Attack is a chess opening for White which starts...
Read more >
Ruy Lopez: Latest Trends In The Zaitsev Variation With GM Leonid Kritz (iChess.club)The Ruy Lopez, also known as the Spanish Opening, is one...
Read more >