Terrify your Rivals with GM Petrov’s Killer King’s Gambit!
We don’t care what anyone says… NOBODY likes seeing 2.f4 played against them. Yes, the King’s Gambit is indeed a terrifying chess opening.
“What the devil possessed me to play 1…e5?? I completely forgot that Spassky likes to play the King’s Gambit.”
– David Bronstein, after being on the wrong side of another King’s Gambit brilliancy.
It’s easily the most fun opening in chess… you get insanely fast development, and a simply murderous open f-file to attack along.
Bronstein, Fischer, Anand… they’ve all lost high-profile (and spectacular) games against the King’s Gambit.
And at club level, it’s 100x more dangerous again.
Ready to have some fun?
In response to major demand, we asked openings expert GM Marian Petrov to turn his attention to the King’s Gambit chess opening, and, once again, he’s delivered the goods.
The result: 4 hours of training that takes you from first moves to tournament-ready.
About the Author:
Marian Petrov is an accomplished professional chess coach, theorist, and Bulgarian champion for 2002 and 2017, as well as winner of many open tournaments around the world.
GM Petrov is also a FIDE trainer and was the coach of Team Wales at the 2016 Baku Olympiad. He graduated from the National Sports Academy in Sofia, Bulgaria, with a Bachelor’s degree in Chess Pedagogy, a four-year undergraduate program designed to prepare top-level chess trainers.
Why Play The King’s Gambit?
For centuries, the King’s Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.f4) has been used to rack up spectacular victories against even the toughest competition.
White sacrifices a pawn on the second move to open lines for attack and get blisteringly fast development. Life is never dull when you know how to play the King’s Gambit!
Is This Course for Me?
Covering the Bishop’s Gambit (3.Bc4), Classical (3.Nf3 g5), Fischer Defense (3.Nf3 d6), as well as the most popular sidelines, GM Petrov arms you with the most aggressive lines against anything your opponent might play.
This course comes complete with the PGN file of featured games, a summary of the course, and a set of King’s Gambit puzzles (PDF format).
GM Petrov covers the 3 mainlines (pictured below) and the most popular sidelines, giving you everything you need to play the opening competitively with confidence.
A combination of general ideas, killer lines, and instructive games, this is the perfect way to get started with the most exciting opening in chess.
- Sacrificial secrets. Give up a pawn, a piece… take my rook! Your opponent will think they’re winning… then fall back to Earth with a bump when you unleash devastating combinations like this (diagram).
- How to deal with …d5. The counter-gambit. Black hopes to get free development by giving back the pawn. And it is a good option. The trick is to make use of your advantages (like the open f-file) while denying your rival any play in the center. Marian explains how to do exactly that.
- Romantic spirit. There is NOTHING stopping you from winning games in the same way as the guys from the Romantic era of chess, like Morphy, Anderssen, and Zukertort. Yup, even against masters. GM Petrov reveals how you can create ferocious attacks after sac’ing your knight on move 5! (Diagram).
- Immortal secrets. Getting a feel for the spirit of the King’s Gambit is more important than remembering lines. And there’s no better way to do that than by analyzing some of the classics from the Romantic era. Marian reveals what was really going on in the ‘Immortal Game’ and other King’s Gambit brilliancies.
- Killer refutations. The King’s Gambit is so sharp that one slip-up or one brilliant move can end the game on the spot – often in under 20 moves. This course makes sure you’re on the right side of these game-defining moments.
Learn the King’s Gambit and you will win more games, you will have more fun, and you will improve your attacking play.
Watch this course, test the opening online, then get ready to terrify those 1…e5 players!