In this DVD, legendary Grandmaster Ivan Sokolov looks at the secret techniques that you will need in order to become an expert in positional sacrifices. Ivan, twice Dutch Champion has a wealth of experience, including a victory over Kasparov. He aims to share some of the knowledge with you in this DVD.
Ivan has only presented for GingerGM and by looking at ten instructive games, his secrets will be passed on to you.
Not sure when to sacrifice? – Ivan will help you decide.
Not sure what makes a good sacrifice? – Ivan guides you.
What is a positional sacrifice? – That is what this DVD is all about!
If you want to improve as an attacking and exciting player then this is just the DVD for you.
Sokolov is making the middlegame genre his own across his range of books and DVDs, and even through that will always lead to some crossover, he claims this DVD contains 85% of new material. This is a fine DVD and genuinely instructive, which is suitable for club players upwards. Presumably middlegame DVDs don’t prove as popular as those featuring openings, but this is one that certainly deserves attention.
Section: Sacrifices Relating To Dynamic Pawn Structures
- Chapter 1: Viswanathan Anand vs Hao Wang, Tata Steel-A, 73rd Wijk aan Zee, 2011, 1-0.
- Chapter 2: Konstantin Sakaev vs Vladimir Belov, 56th RUS-ch, Krasnoyarsk, 2003, 1-0.
- Chapter 3: Garry Kasparov vs Ralf Akesson, Wch U20, Dortmund, 1980, 1-0.
- Chapter 4: Ivan Sokolov vs Aleksandr Lenderman, Reykjavik Open, 2010, 1-0.
Section: Sacrifices to Destroy the Opponents Pawn Structure
- Chapter 5: Peter Svidler vs Victor Bologan, Blitz World Championships, 2012. 1-0.
- Chapter 6: Dimitri Reinderman vs Ivan Sokolov, Tch-NED, 2001, 0-1.
- Chapter 7: Garry Kasparov vs Jan Timman, Hilversum KRO, 1985, 1-0.
- Chapter 8: Anatoly Karpov vs Boris Gelfand, Linares, ESP, 1993, 1-0.
Section: Positional Sacrifices to Improve a Piece
- Chapter 9: Vladimir Kramnik vs Garry Kasparov, Linares, ESP, 1994, 1-0.
- Chapter 10: Garry Kasparov vs Alexey Shirov, Horgen, SWZ, 1994, 1-0.