Open Catalan with 5…Bd7, 9…0-0-0 – IM Robert Ris (iChess Club)
In this series, IM Ris focusses on the Open Catalan. This is the second video on the Catalan. If you haven’t seen it yet, you can catch Part 1 here.
The Open Catalan begins with the moves 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5 4.g3 dxc4 5.Bg2. (See the diagram)
The Catalan was used extensively by Vladimir Kramnik during his World Chess Championship matches.
In this exclusive iChess Club video, IM Ris takes a look at how play continues when Black plays 5…Bd7. With this move, Black is trying to ease the pressure along the long diagonal by playing …Bc6 soon.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- 2-3 exclusive new premium videos a week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $19.97 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $9.97.
Other interesting iChess.club articles for you:
Open Catalan with 7.Na3 and 7.Ne5 – IM Robert Ris (iChess Club)In this series, IM Ris focusses on the Open Catalan. The...
Read more >
Live Stream: Chess Traps After 1.e4 e5 – IM Valeri Lilov [Noon EST, Sat 6 July]1.e4 e5 is one of the most common openings in all of chess, with both...
Read more >