The English Opening is a chess opening for White and occurs after the move 1.c4 (see the diagram on the right).
Many great players including Bobby Fischer, Anatoly Karpov, Garry Kasparov, Vladimir Kramnik, Levon Aronian, and Magnus Carlsen have played this opening with great success. What’s more, the opening has seen steady growth in popularity in recent years.
Club players who study the English Opening tend to be quite successful with it as most other non-professional players are not well prepared for it and only have a vague idea of how to counter it. The opening can easily cause some headaches for an unprepared Black player, especially if White is booked up with the latest theory.
In this exclusive iChess Club video, GM Damian Lemos explores play after 1.c4 e5, the Reversed Sicilian, and how to continue with the white pieces.
Watch the Full Video with the iChess Club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- Exclusive new premium videos each week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $19.97 in store credit each month you renew!
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club and get your first month for only $1.