English Opening: New Trends In The Symmetrical Variation (iChess.club) – GM Mihail Marin
The English Opening is a chess opening for White and occurs after the move 1.c4 (see the diagram on the right).
Many great players including Bobby Fischer, Anatoly Karpov, Garry Kasparov, Vladimir Kramnik, Levon Aronian, and Magnus Carlsen have played this opening with great success. What’s more, the opening has seen steady growth in popularity in recent years.
Club players who study the English Opening tend to be quite successful with it as most other non-professional players are not well prepared for it and only have a vague idea of how to counter it. The opening can easily cause some headaches for an unprepared Black player, especially if White is booked up with the latest theory.
GM Mihail Marin, a renowned expert on the English Opening, and author of three highly-regarded repertoire books on the opening for the publishing house Quality Chess, has produced a series of videos on the different variations for both sides in the Symmetrical Variation.
Did you miss the first two parts of this video series? Check them out:
- Part 1: Theoretical Developments in the variation after 1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5. Click here to watch the video and see the corresponding article.
- Part 2: Latest Ideas in the variation after 1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.g3 d5. Click here to watch the video and see the corresponding article.
English Opening: New Trends In The Symmetrical Variation
In this iChess Club exclusive video, GM Mihail Marin takes a look at the Symmetrical Variation where it is White who first breaks the symmetry by playing an early d2-d4.
After the moves 1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4, Black’s most critical move to equalize is 5…e6 (see the diagram).
Here, GM Mihail Marin dives deep into White’s two critical moves 6.a3 and 6.g3, but also explains why former main moves like 6.Nbd5 have fallen out of fashion.
If you want to stay up-to-date on how the play with White against the Symmetrical Variation of the English Opening, this video is a must for you.
Watch the Full Video with iChess.club
Want to watch the full video? Check out the iChess Club, a premium membership for our top fans and customers that gives you tons of exclusive benefits such as:
- 2-3 exclusive new premium videos a week by the world’s top Grandmasters and chess educators (such as this one!)
- 40% off all items in our shop, anytime
- Free shipping for those of you who like physical DVDs
- 5% additional discount for products already on sale
- Sale extender allowing you to get an item at the sale price up to 30 days after a sale has ended!
- An additional $19.97 in store credit each month you renew!
- Access to live private webinars
- A 30+ minute preview of almost every product in our shop
All this for only $19.97 a month! Click here to sign up for the iChess Club.
Other interesting iChess.club articles for you:
- Nimzo Indian: A Surprising Idea For Black Against The Capablanca Variation (4.Qc2) – GM Eugene Perelshteyn
- Sicilian Dragon: Latest Trends In The Yugoslav Attack With 9.0-0-0 – GM Romain Edouard (iChess.club)
- Caro Kann: Theoretical Developments In The Classical Variation – GM Alex Lenderman (iChess.club)
Tata Steel Chess 2019: Carlsen Wins, Kramnik RetiresThe Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2019 took place from 12th to 27th January in the...
Read more >
Sicilian Dragon: Latest Trends In The Yugoslav Attack With 9.0-0-0 – GM Romain Edouard (iChess.club)The Sicilian Dragon occurs after the moves 1.e4 c5 2 Nf3 d6...
Read more >